Ad blocking has been a part of advertisement industry since always. The online companies after so many years have learned to deal with it and gain out of it in the best way possible. Pagefair was able to achieve double-digit growth by adopting ad block in 2015. Ad blocking has undoubtedly pushed media sellers and vendors to provide overwhelming ad experience to the consumers. If ad blocking threat is dealt and measured appropriately, then revenue losses by the year 2020 would be 10.5 USD billion in the US and 1.9 USD billion in the UK.
Adoption of Ad blocking strategy
Ad block adopting is growing steadily all around the world. Even though the percentage of desktop ad blockers in the US is relatively low but the impact on revenue loss is massive and the basic reason behind this is large internet base. Adobe further predicts that if ad blocking is going to happen in Germany and Sweden as well a number of ad blockers shall further increase tremendously. It has hence become important for online companies to come forth with strategies to fight against ad blocking and develop a strong market base in the online world.
Why was ad blocking adopted?
Below mentioned are some of the reasons owing to which respondents have chosen ad blocking in the online world;
- Over-targeting: Respondents were driven to use ad blocks because of unskippable videos, abuse of personal data, over targeting etc.
- Repetitive ads: One out of 5 respondents finds ads quite annoying especially when they regularly follow internet videos.
- Video and lengths: The video ad length is quite long again annoying the users and forcing them to block the video.
With the increasing concerns of ads, respondents have even agreed to pay for ad-free content on their internet. All they are concerned about is a smooth interruption free media experience.
Mobile ad blocking
It is currently at all time low, wherein ad blocking amounts to only 2% of the total population. However, if we specifically talk about Asia Pacific, ad blockers are highest in there. India and China have the largest mobile ad blocker base from the whole of the Asia. The data by PageFair has further confirmed that 94% of the global mobile ad block usage comprises of Asia Pacific itself.
Canada and Germany: Not impacted by ad blocking
IAB Canada has measured incidences of ad blocking on page views and also a number of ad block installed on specific locations or device. The central body of German online advertising also released data for ad block incidence rates in Germany. According to the data, the number of monthly blocks from June 2015 to January 2016 remained stable and same data persisted for the rest of quarter 1 2016. Further, this data had put forth following facts;
- Almost 17% Canadians used ad block strategy in Q1 2016.
- The adoption of ad block is almost three times more on the desktop in comparison with mobile.
- Content categories like entertainment, gaming and sports showed more than average of ad blocking in comparison to other content.
- The majority of respondents have experienced that their browsing experience has improved with ad block which is why they have openly adopted for it.
Ever since ad-blocking strategies were introduced, Germany was the biggest adapters of all of it. However, continuous plunge has been noticed in the rates from Q1 to Q3 2016.
From the massive amount of ad blockers citing in the online world, there are some common words spoken from the mouth of respondents;
- One-third of the respondents said that they would agree to pay for the online free experience of ads.
- The intrusive ad formats should not be chosen, along with it auto-play audio/video, poor layout and popups should be avoided.
- The ad formats which must be preferred over other forms includes static banners, native and skippable videos. This form of videos provides flexibility to the users.
- Over-targeting or repetitive ads should be avoided. These are some of the common complaints brought forward by respondents.
Considering the facts mentioned above, it is true to say that online users are inclined to visit ad-free sites and videos, which can help them, enjoy uninterrupted experience throughout.