Are you facing issues while bending, lifting, standing or walking? It can either be back pain or symptoms of sciatica. The following article has 6 different ways that may relieve you from the same.
Approx. 70% of the world’s population is a victim of back pain. Slouching, lethargy, sedentary and unhealthy lifestyle, etc. make your spine weak. It affects the body posture as well as muscles in the back. It results in back pain and severe cases, sciatica. Such issues make it difficult for a person to cope up with the daily chores. The pain can be so severe that it may affect your legs, muscles, worsen the pain while bending, lifting, standing and even walking. If left untreated, may cause ligament strain, ruptured disks, arthritis, skeletal irregularities, and osteoporosis.
You may try various medical treatments such as chiropractic care, bioelectric therapy, spinal stimulation, and laminectomy to relieve the same. Another approach is to practice yoga. You can either find a yoga teacher in Rishikesh or join yoga classes in the nearby area. It will help you in distinct ways such as:
- Strengthen your back, hamstrings and hip flexors and make them more flexible
- Eases the level of stress and anxiety and develops calmness in the mind
- Stimulate and boost blood circulation
Practice the following 6 yoga poses to help you with the same:
- Ustrasana (Camel Pose): Kneel on the ground and let your hands rest on your hips. Your knees and shoulders must be in line and soles of the feet should face the sky. Breathe in and draw your tailbone in towards your pubis. When you feel the pull at the navel, arch your back and slide your palms over the feet and straighten the arms. Don’t let your head hang, keep it in the neutral position and hold the pose for at least 30 seconds.
- Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend Pose): Sit straight on the floor with your legs outstretched in the front. Breathe deeply and stretch your hands above the head without bending the elbows. Make sure you stretch your spine to the maximum. Breathe out and bend forward from your thighs, bring your hands down and try to touch your toes. If you are unable to touch the toes, try to reach up to your ankles. Try to hold the pose for 60 seconds and feel the stretch in your hamstrings as well as back muscles. It will release tension from the muscles in the body and correct the body posture.
- Shalabhasana (Locust Pose): For this pose, lie on your stomach with your hand on the sides. Inhale and try to lift your torso as well as the legs. While lifting your legs make sure you don’t bend the knees. The entire body weight must be on your lower ribs and abdomen. Try to hold it for at least a minute for amazing benefits.
- Tadasana (Mountain Pose): Stand with flat feet, straight back and hands on your sides. Outstretch your arms and bring your palms close to each other. Breathe deeply, stretch your spine and raise your joined hands above the head. Try to stretch as far as possible. Stand on your toes and look up to the sky. Maintain this pose for 30 seconds and then, gently release the body.
- Baddha Konasana (Butterfly Pose): Sit with a straight back and bent knees. Join the soles of your feet and use your hands to keep them together. Breathe normally and gently press your knees and thighs on the ground. Keep flapping your knees by moving your thighs up and down.
- ArdhaPinchaMayurasana (Dolphin Pose): For this pose, let your forearms rest on the ground while your elbows and shoulders are in line. Lift your hips while tucking your toes and keeping your legs straight. Keep your shoulder blades firm and lift your shoulders away from the ears. Try to hold it for at least three long breaths.
Find a yoga teacher in Rishikesh who can help you with such more yoga poses.