The planning of design for a website or a mobile app is an essential part of the project development. A successful and systematic design plan makes or breaks the entire product output. Design thinking is all about application of various industrial design tools to devise an innovative solution and develop a product that would appeal target audience. While development of technical aspects is a complex and time-consuming process, on the other hand, design thinking requires the engagement of time and resources to bring up a favourable output. No matter if it is technical or design development all of it is done with the motive of improving the quality of the product.
Importance of Design Thinking
During the developmental phase of any website or app, it is a must to follow step by step approach. With adequate approach only desired outcome can be achieved and customer base in the market can be increased. Be it an interactive and easy user interface or integration of codes at the front end, a well-planned design is essential. Designing of a website plays a critical role and can impact success of a company in many ways;
- While a lot of emphasis and time is given to the technical development of a website, design phase tends to get very little and restricted dedication.
- Due to such restricted time constraints, development of a proper design, sometimes, becomes difficult and hence the implementation has to be altered from time to time to accommodate factors like user interface features and user experience design.
- A well-planned design facilitates meeting deadlines of the development and testing phase by phase. This also helps in implementation of new ideas or innovative features from time to time. Thus company app and the web can stay updated as per customers and market expectations.
- Appropriate design thinking helps engage large user base especially once the website or app has been completely launched in the market.
Principals of Design Thinking
While developing a design for a new website or mobile app, certain factors should be considered for a successful design. These factors can be summarised as follows:
- User-centre approach: During this phase, it is essential to understand what would appeal the consumer in addition to understanding their requirements. The designers should put themselves in the user’s shoes to gain a better perspective of the approach. This helps them come up with something which is just what customers have been expecting out of the company and its web or app.
- Visualise and experience: Designers should think visually to create something out of the world. Sharing and development of new and innovative ideas related to experiences of consumers can also help them come up with some of the best web designs.
- Invite diverse perspectives: It is important to keep an open mind about various possible solutions of a problem. This shall help designers choose the best alternative or explore different possibilities and then pick up the best.
- Iterate and evolve: A trial and error method with an iterative approach might also help to reach a favourable While trying trial and error method, make sure to have backup ideas for implementation in case any of your trial fails.
Measuring ROI for Design Thinking
Considering the impact of design thinking on customer base and revenue of a company, design thinking undoubtedly is going to have an impact on ROI of the website or app. There are various factors, which can be used for measuring the impact of design thinking on ROI, out of which some includes customer feedback, innovation, understanding users, conducting surveys etc.
Tool to Increase ROI
Design thinking provides a systematic approach to devising an innovative solution to an industrial problem. The analysis and information collection carried out while design development is useful for understanding user requirements. Analytic tools and information collection through questionnaires helps to gain information on what consumers expect from the company. Similar information can be used for increasing the return of the company and gaining increased profits.
Design thinking facilitates timely achievement of an innovative solution. It also plays an important role in increasing the ROI of the product. A well-devised design plan is responsible for saving time and money, eventually leading to a better product design and profitability of the company in the market