A wisdom tooth is the last of the three molars in the human teeth structure. These teeth erupt generally between the age of 17-25. Many adults have four wisdom teeth, but some have fewer. Wisdom teeth removal takes place when they are impacted and are not growing properly. They could be causing pain by colliding with the roots of the molars.
Reasons For Wisdom Teeth Removal
There can be many reasons for wisdom teeth removal:
- Damage to the neighbors: Neighbors here means nearby teeth. Wisdom teeth can sometimes grow in the nearby teeth’s place and can cause bone loss and cavities in the molars.
- Inflammation: Inflammation can be caused in the gums sometimes by the wisdom teeth getting less space to grow. Inflammation can also lead to bacteria growth and lead to infection.
- Overcrowding: sometimes when wisdom teeth grow, they are in a crowded area which can lead to misalignment of the nearby teeth.
- Cysts and tumors: Cysts or tumors in the jawbone also can be formed due to impacted wisdom teeth. It can lead to joint pain.
- Difficult to keep clean: Wisdom teeth need the care to clean and are not easy to clean because of the limited space they are in. This can cause building of plaque or cavities.
The Process Of Wisdom Teeth Removal
- Anesthesia: First of all, a local anesthetic is given by the doctor to the patient to numb the area of tooth removal. It is also recommended not to eat or drink anything several hours before the surgery takes place.
- Opening the gum: Then the gum tissue over the tooth is opened by the dentist and also any bone covering the tooth is taken out.
- Tissue separation: After that, the tissue connecting the tooth to the bone is separated.
- Tooth removal: Finally the tooth is removed by forceps after moving it from side to side. Sometimes an incision has to be made in the gums when the tooth is deeply impacted.
The whole process of the wisdom tooth removal takes 30-60 minutes.
After the Wisdom teeth removal, you need to rest. Pain and swelling in gums and tooth are common after the surgery. Bleeding is also experienced for around 24 hours. Sometimes opening the jaw opening is also painful as swelling is there. Painkillers can help with this.
Things Take Care Post Surgery Wisdom Teeth
Following things should be kept in mind for a speedy recovery after a wisdom tooth removal:
- Mouth pads should be changed as soon as they get soaked with blood.
- When your mouth is numb, you should not bite the inside of your cheek.
- An ice pack should be used on the outside of your cheek. It will reduce pain and swelling.
- Soft foods should be eaten or soup should be taken as the healing takes place.
- Salt water rinse in the mouth can also help alleviate pain.
- The surgery area should not be rubbed by the tongue or even touched by fingers.
So, to get a wonderful and safe experience in wisdom teeth removal, visit the Prahran Family Dental without any delay. We aware that dentistry is a quite important part of our health and life as unhealthy teeth and smile can affect our lives. So, we strive to provide excellent dentistry by using the latest dental materials and laboratory. We have highly trained and experienced staff to provide the premium quality service.